Free People Inspired: DIY Embroidered Jeans

This DIY was inspired by the arrowhead jeans I saw online at Free People. They have this geometric embroidery going down the side of each leg and then vertically on the front and back of the pants. It’s such a simple design with maximum impact. Instead of embroidering the entire thing, I hand stitched on a geometric trim and then embroidered the triangular patterns after. Because there were so many hard-to-reach places, using a sewing machine was not an option, so this project took a bit of time. If you’re handy with a needle and thread and love these jeans but don’t want to spend $208, then this DIY is right up your alley! Follow along below for the simple 3-step tutorial, and check out the rest of Free People’s incredible collection of denim.

Stylemint tee, DIY PacSun jeans, ASOS bag, DIY bullhead necklace, Aldo booties, Madewell rings

Materials: a plain pair of jeans, 5 yards of 3/4″ wide trim, 2 embroidery flosses, pins, needle & thread

Step 1: Start by pinning the trim on sides of the pants. Decide where you want your design to start on the front and back of the pants and pin your pieces accordingly. I did mine at different levels on the front and then the same level on the back.

Step 2: Hand sew the trim onto the pants on all areas.

Step 3: Hand embroider a geometric ‘arrowhead’ design on the front and back of the pants near the trim. Look at mine and the Free People jeans for design inspiration.

This entry was posted in diy, what i wore and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Free People Inspired: DIY Embroidered Jeans

1. Ayesha says:

Can’t wait to try this, adorable!

2. you are seriously the most amazing DIYer. we want to do everything you’ve done!!!!
    keep ‘em coming!!!! love love love your blog!!!!!!!

xo. c & v
    cake & valley

3. Kai
    Twitter: ComplicatedKai

these are badass!!! Can I just pay you to make them for me?

Thanks! I’d probably charge $200 to do them since it took so long, so you’d be better off just buying them lol

4. davie+erica says:

So pretty! Love this DIY! It’s really amazing<3

ox from NYC!
    davie+erica

LPFashionPhilosophy

5. Anna says:

ohmy goodness, totally obsessed with this look. So stunning. The pants are amazing. Fabulous post, love. If you get a sec, I’d love if you’d check out my magazine feature. Eek! So exciting. xo

6. Martha
    Twitter: princessmarthad

Amazing!!!!
    I love them….once again, I am in total awe of your creativity.
    By the way…your picture looks like fall….lovely!!
    XOXO

7. Ioana
    Twitter: Ioana Chisiu

they look so chic <3

8. Kirstin Marie
    Twitter: kirstinfoley

Once again, you look amazing with your super creative skills. Loving this, my friend. xo

9. Ria
    Twitter: riamichelle

Your picture is so good and this diy is crazy good. You’re amazing girl.

10. These are SO awesome! You are so creative and I love seeing your projects and sketches.

Amy

Fashion and Beauty Finds

11. Glamamom
    Twitter: glamamom

FABULOUS! I’m always so impressed with your DIY!

12. MJ
    Twitter: MJ_Beauty

Those jeans look ah-mazing!! Especially with those shoes! Awesome job Kara!

13. Pingback: 41 Amazing Free People-Inspired DIYs | GossipViews.com

14. Pingback: 41 Amazing Free People-Inspired DIYs | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips