DIY: Tie Dye Bleached Shorts

I love the bleached denim trend happening right now and went on a misson to DIY something to incorporate into my summer rotation. (Can you believe I live in Florida and only have 3 pairs of shorts?? That’s a hole in my closet that needs to be filled!) I wanted to try dipping these in bleach and doing a pair of pants tie dye like this, but… when you’re new to working with bleach sometimes you can hit a few bumps in the road. One pair of navy jeans I tried first with this tie dye method turned an ugly shade of salmon and not at all tie dyed. Plus, I found that I couldn’t get the denim perfectly white (maybe it was the kind of bleach I was using?) so I decided the dipping method would have to wait on these shorts and to tie dye them instead. I bought these jeans at Goodwill for $4 and cut them into shorts for this project, which is a great idea when you don’t want to waste too much money on experimenting.

I love how they turned out! Follow this tutorial to see how to make some of your own.

(You can also buy some great ones here, here and here!)

Pieces Leather Shopper $149 ||  ASOS Flower Charm Necklace $25 ||  RED Valentino Daisy Sandals $225 || AG Adriano Goldschmeid Daisy Shorts $155 || Equipment Blouse $238

Rag & Bone Classic Newbury Ankle Boots $557 || Nasty Gal Camden Knit Sweater $65 || Rebecca Minkoff Wallet on a Chain with Studs $225 || AG Adriano Goldschmied Daisy Shorts $155 || Elizabeth & James Lafayette Sunglasses $155 || CC Skye Double Header Spike Bracelet $150

>> See the outfit post here! <<

This entry was posted in diy, shopping guide and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to DIY: Tie Dye Bleached Shorts

1. Inge says:

They came out beautifully!

2. L. Figment
    Twitter: L_Figment

These look so good!!
    I have to do try this! Perfect for summer.

L.
    Good Morning Angel.

3. Kara, this is awesome!!! Nice work.

4. Erin @ Thanks, I Made It
    Twitter: erinpruckno

So cool! I love how they almost look like a floral print. Great job!

5. Diana says:

love it, I have a pair of old jeans I’ll may use to make this!

Thanks for sharing, have a good day!

6. Josie says:

They turned out PERFECTLY! So easy and cool for summer.
    xo Josie

7. Sue says:

So cool! I once tried it on t-shirt but it didn’t look good, so I never tried it again. But seeing this, hmmm.. It made me think to try once again. Love it!

8. The Fashionable ESQ
    Twitter: FashionableESQ

You, by far, have the coolest DIY’s that I’ve seen

xx
    The Fashionable ESQ

9. Jacki
    Twitter: jacjacattack7

I loved how these looked and actually made my own! They turned out great. I actually just posted about them. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

10. Pingback: Maroon & Tie Dye | Sprinkles in Springs

11. Shannon says:

I tried these today but it didn’t do anything. They stayed the same color as the beginning. I don’t know what I did wrong. I put the shorts (with the rubber bands) in a mix of 2 cups water and 2 cups bleach and left it for 30 minutes. But nothing happened!

Hmm… I’m not sure what happened. I’d try it with another pair, sometimes the dyes can react weird to the bleach but I don’t know why it wouldn’t do anything. Your bleach may have been past it’s shelf life, so check that. I know if it’s been sitting open it can lose it’s potency faster. Also after about 6 months after buying it whether you opened the bottle or not it will lose power also. So try that and I hope it helps!

12. Sadie says:

Hey! The shorts look like they’re going to turn out good but i was wondering if you take out the rubber bands out when the shorts are dry or wet? Thanks :)

Hi Sadie! After you take the shorts out of the bleach, give them a quick rinse then take out the rubber bands and wash them.

13. Connor says:

mine turned out yellow :/ Maybe I left them in too long haha

14. Makenna says:

I tried this and it worked!! :) Sooo excited But I had to soak them over night because there was no change for about 2 hours….what happened?

15. melissa
    Twitter: annleaartsy

I really love these! They came out great. I love that you also put together outfits too

16. Rachel says:

I just tried this and it worked so well! So easy and fun. Just wish I had more shorts to do this to! Thanks for the tutorial

17. Dque says:

Just finished with the shorts, they turned out AWESOME!!!!! Thanks soooo much!!!

18. Lela says:

Wow, these shorts are absolutely awesome!
    Have to try that right away…..

19. Sofy says:

I love them, they’re very beautiful :)
    Great job :)

20. Natalie says:

Should I wash the shorts right after or let them dry? Thanks!

21. Pingback: Your Questions About Diy Fashion - The Ultimate Hypnosis and Self Hypnosis Resource - DIY Hypnosis

22. Suzy O
    Twitter: Commentluv

I did this way back in the 80s when I was a teenager… Very cute.. Glad the trend is back.

23. Maria says:

I tried these and the shorts have been sitting in bleach for about thirty minutes and they still look the same color? Why is this happening?!?!?!

24. Maria says:

this*

25. Sadie says:

The first pair probably came out wrong because if your jeans aren’t 100% cotton they’ll bleach weird. So, it’s more likely that the jeans were partially spandex than the type of bleach used. :)

26. Ashleigh says:

My shorts shredded when I did this :( please tell me why.

27. Pingback: Bleach Tie Dyed Jean Shorts | Do It And How